Monday, December 15, 2014

Censorship



I was commissioned to create an illustration showing how the imagination refuses to be repressed and the internal struggle of the creative in oppressive situations by a professor I work with at IADT of Nashville. I am a strong advocate of creative freedom and agree with the following quotes on controversy. The images erupting from the man’s head show a progress of thought from left to right of shapes forms and connections in one way or another, illustrating the progress of thought. All of the other symbols are fairly straight forward and do not need explaining.

“I don't see how you can write anything of value if you don't offend someone.”
Marvin Harris

“How could anything non-controversial be of intellectual interest to grown-ups?”
Edward Abbey, Postcards from Ed: Dispatches and Salvos from an American Iconoclast

 

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting."
Vincent van Gogh

No comments:

Post a Comment